Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Tough Guy Chronicles: Counting on the Cluffs

Greetings from the Cluff Family! This family is priceless.

From The Crazy Cluff Crew...

"I just love the 4th of July! We are so blessed to live in America and enjoy the freedoms that we do. They kids had a great time and we did some fun things to help them better understand the meaning behind all the fireworks, picnics and fun! We drove around Egar and counted all the flags we could find.............68 to be exact! The kids had so much fun looking for and spotting flags."


Those Cluff's are one wacky crew! I remember the 4th from my childhood very clearly. We would also drive around making sure that people's flags were proudly displayed in the lawn or on the front porch. I think that the Cluff's have it right and I was wondering if they did this type of scavenger hunt for all holidays. Now that I'm married, I have to start thinking of how to celebrate National Holiday's and you better believe that I'm going to take a page from the Cluff family playbook.

I'll call it "Cluffing".

When I started this post, I was a little worried that I wouldn't have enough to write, so I called the Cluffs up and asked them to help me with some other holidays. If I couldn't count things on National Holidays, then America has lost what is truly great about it: Freedom to Miss the Point.

So I called the Cluff Crew. The odd thing was that they all answered the phone at the same time, but they didn't say "hello", they said "hi". I was taken back a bit, but after they assured me that they had done extensive counting and discovered that most callers find it endearing and often reply, "Those Cluffs!" when they hear the greeting, I felt much better. "Those Cluffs!"

So here's a quick slice of my talk with the Cluffs. And this is AFTER the greeting.

Me: Cluffs. Is that okay if I call you "Cluffs"?

Entire Cluff family in unison: No. We are the Cluff Crew or TCC.

Me: Okay. Cluff Crew. I really like your holiday counting tradition and...

Entire Cluff family in unison: It's sooo Cluff Crew.

Me: Okay, but as I was saying, I like your counting tradition and was wondering how and what you counted for other holidays.

Entire Cluff family in unison: We count.

Me: Right, but what do you count on, say, Christmas? Crosses?

Entire Cluff family in unison: We used to count crosses until the accident.

Me: The accident?

Entire Cluff family in unison: ...

Me: So, what do you count on Christmas?

Entire Cluff family in unison: The Cluff Crew counts nativity scenes.

Me: Alright. That could be fun. What about...

Entire Cluff family in unison: Fax!

Me: Excuse me? Did you say "fax"?

Entire Cluff family in unison: TCC has to go. We'll fax you our counting list.

Me: But I don't have a fax machine. Does anybody still have a fax machine?

Entire Cluff family in unison: You do now. Count on it.

END OF CONVERSATION


It was an odd conversation to say the least, but I did receive a fax machine and a fax of their counting list. I scanned a copy of it here for you.



Those are the basics of any Cluff Crew holiday outing. I was a little let down though. The list was so incomplete. I mean, they offered great advice and I will definetly spend those holidays counting, but what about the others?

Now that I've been turned on this custom, I can't walk away from it. I need to count as much as possible and I also need to come up with a catchy name like "Cluff Crew", but using my last name. Maybe The Hogan Herd?

So I need your help. What can I count for the following holidays?

Religious Freedom Day (January 16)

National Sanctity of Human Life Day (Third Sunday in January)

Greek Independence Day (March 25)

National D.A.R.E. Day (Second Thursday in April)

Loyalty Day (May 1)

National Defense Transportation Day and National Transportation Week (third Friday in May and week thereof)

National Maritime Day (May 22)

Women's Equality Day (August 26)

Patriot Day (September 11)

Gold Star Mother's Day (last Sunday in September)

Child Health Day (First Monday in October)

German-American Day (October 6)

General Pulaski Memorial Day (October 11)

White Cane Safety Day (October 15)

World AIDS Day (December 1)


These are very important to the Hogan Herd. Also can anyone improve on the "Hogan Herd"?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay...Hogan Herd I will put on my thinking cap for those holidays and see what I come up with. By the way, you forgot Halloween! :/

The Expat said...

The Cluffs told me that Halloween isn't a pure American holiday, therefore they do not count anything on Halloween.

Would you cross the Cluffs? I wouldn't.

Anonymous said...

Hogan Huddle.

The Expat said...

I like that too, although that should be more like something that the Hogan H... does.

Anonymous said...

Kiersten Cluff...terrible name.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those Cluffs sure are crazy. Did you go back and read that entire blog??? They met up with Browns, Smiths and Greens. I think they're living in Stepford.
Any comments?