Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Any Ideas?

For the past two months or so, I have been teaching part-time at a small school near my current school. The whole idea of this little hagwon is shady. Let me give you a few quick details.

I walked out of school on a Friday after I had finished and was approached no more than thirty feet away from the door by woman who said she was looking for a teacher. She handed me her business card which was made out of basic printer paper. It was all crumbled up and the name and writing on the "card" had faded. First of all, it is illegal for most ESL teachers in Korea to teach at multiple places. However, I'm on a different visa, so I can do whatever I want. Suckers! Still, she did not know that when she approached me and didn't seem to care that I possessed the legal visa. Regardless, I set up an "interview" for the following Monday and went home to tell 고. We were both cautious about the school, but figured an interview wouldn't hurt.

That Monday, I went into her school and met with the director. This women was amazingly creepy. Besides the fact that she was watching cartoons when I came in FOR MY INTERVIEW, this 60 year-old woman had Yoko Uno hair, a checkered silk blouse and a small, yappy Yorkshire Terrior in her lab which, of course, she was compulsively petting during the course of the interview. I asked the basic questions, i.e., pay, hours, and simple contractual details. I was told that there would be no contract "because the director has health issues". That's right. The interview concluded with me having to pass muster or in all reality, the smell test as she made me hold and pet her dog. It was creepy, but since it was virtually thrown in my hands, I had to comply. I gave the dog about 20 seconds of tepid love and then dashed out the door.

The next day, I decided to bring 고 in there to hammer out a few details. Nothing was hammered out, but the pay was good enough and the hours low enough that it would be worth the risk. It has been. I have gotten paid on time, had no problems and it has been worth it.

So, why did I bother writing this? Well, I was in there yesterday and was in the middle of my third class when the director walked in with what I assumed was tea. I was grateful and did my insincere bow and continued teaching while holding the cup of cool tea. I smelled it before I took a sip and it smelled fine. So, I drank. It tasted odd. I smelled it again and then took another sip. The director had put alcohol in the damn tea! And it wasn't just a little alcohol. This thing was loaded up. Normally I would have slammed it and asked for another, but I was in so much shock that I had just been offered alcohol while teaching that I had to put it down.

Why would she do this? Only one clear answer: During her afternoon cartoon-watching marathon, she likes to tie a few off and since she was already plastered while she was making my tea, she mixed the two up and gave me hers.

You have any better ideas?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's a pet owner, so she must WORSHIP McCain. She's reading your blog and trying to eradicate your writings on Obama. JUST KIDDING. But funny right?

The Expat said...

Ha! Well, I'm glad that others are finding humor is such polls. And I'd be happy for her to be a McCain supporter. Anyone who says she can't offer a contract because the "HAD health problems" is not someone I want on my team. Funny though.

Anonymous said...

Such a Seinfeld story! You have some amazing ones, really.

Hope she was not offended you did not drink her tea.