Sunday, July 6, 2008

"George is a genius..."

I've never seen such an accurate title. Of course there are so many levels to that genius, and I can admit that most of them are well below what would be scientifically accepted as "genius". Regardless of this minor detail, in the eyes of my mother-in-law, I am quite skilled in timing and being able to read the situation and exercise what is called in Korean as 눈치 (nunchi). It simply means "tact". My friends know that I have no such quality, but when it comes to my Korean family, I have to suspend my usual over-the-top, loud mouth attitude and hone in on some other qualities.

How did this come about? Well, as I mentioned in a previous post, I had a Yanni Dance party that was meant to crush the spirits of a rival and send a clear message that I am going to remain at the top of the in-law ticket. That dance party came with an added bonus. As I said, I simply went to Youtube and typed in Yanni which on course provided me with tons of Yanni songs and specifically, his most popular songs. Unbeknownst to me, while the party was in full swing, 고's mom kept on telling everyone (in Korean) how amazed she was that I knew all of her favorite songs; that I knew just what she liked and was selecting them with ease and without a break in the mood or atmosphere.

The point of this is that she had no idea what Youtube was or how it worked. She simply thought that I was a genius and had the know-how to select the songs that she liked because I liked them too. I did like them, but would not have made those selections.

고 knew that this helped my standing and did not reveal to her mother how I was selecting such tunes. Sweet 고고!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a loyal wife...and maybe Go's Mom believes like someone else near and dear to you..."sometimes I just like not knowing!" Hum???