Monday, July 21, 2008

Give me a swaller

The next little number is one that I doubt more than thirty people have ever seen played live and the song itself isn't that great, but it serves its purpose well for the theme of this installment.

Many a night during my freshman year at UT, my roommate Sid and I were left with an empty pipe, spilled beer and early morning classes (which I would skip and play Pacman Advneture). Since we were both at the height of our bluegrass obssesion, we would regulary pass out (not fall asleep) while singing this tune. We turned it into a duet and most of the time I took the easy part before Sid would get a chance.

Here's the Dillards with "Dooley" from one of the greatest shows.



Me: Dooley

Sid: Flipping up a holler

Me: Dooley

Sid: Trying to make a dollar

Me:...Dooley

Sid: Give me a swaller and I'll pay you back some day

Sid would sometimes complain that he never got the easy part, but for those of you who know me (and have heard me in 노래방) should understand my desire NOT to sing.

Good times...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

HAHA! It usually happened while I was passing out on the little loveseat watching such movies as No One Would Tell, Event Horizon, Fletch, etc. I miss those days!

Unknown said...

By the way, below is a link I think you will enjoy. I am not sure if you have seen it but check out the mandolin player. This was over a year ago and they are still playing so I imagine they are even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esFuKz2p1NE

The Expat said...

WOW~! Look at Shane! I can't to feel that we were somewhat responsible for his HUGE shift from metal to bluegrass. I'm proud of him! He might not be the academic, but damn, he's got the music in him!